If you spend any time reading blogs this dresser is a familiar site. Probably one of the most transformed IKEA pieces around, the Tarva 6-drawer dresser. For only $149.00 you can get a completely customizable dresser. Once you get through the tedious assembly with only pictures to guide you it is pretty easy to make a piece perfect for anyone spot in your home. I tell you all this and honestly it took me almost a month to complete this project. In my defense I took my time so I could get it right and then there was a minor kitchen accident that put a crimp in my progress.
But now after all that time it is done. The pictures are hung and we got the area staged just the way we want it. Which should read our laundry isn't scattered about the floor. So time for the big reveal.
I love how it turned out and how great the drawings look hanging above the dresser.
When I started thinking about how to make the dresser unique and a good centerpiece of the wall the idea that excited me the most was covering the drawer fronts with fabric. I was hoping for a nice herringbone but couldn't find one quickly and wanted to get moving on the project and decided on this great striped suit fabric instead.
To cover the fronts I wrapped them in fabric like I was upholstering a piece of furniture before I assembled the drawers. Try and get the corners as flat as possible so the drawer will sit flush against the dresser. The lines added an extra degree of difficulty and at a quick glance they are pretty straight across from one drawer to the next but don't look too close!
For added color that only I will see I painted the side pieces of the drawers my favorite Martha Stewart color, Hummingbird blue. I am in love with this color so much I bought a gallon even though I only needed a small amount and could have easily gotten away with a quart or even two sample size containers. Look for this color to be all over the house now!
The top and sides of the dresser are painted in Martha Stewart Molasses
The hardware is from Home Depot. I searched online through so many knobs my head was swimming with pictures of hardware. I just couldn't bring myself to spend more on hardware than I did on the dresser. I am happy with the final choice and think the design softens the straight lines in the fabric. Though the ones for $15 a piece would have been fantastic! To attach the hardware I cut a slit in the fabric and then pushed the screw through to make the hole. I removed all the hardware and applied a little bit of fabric glue into the hole to hopefully keep it from fraying. After the glue dried I reattached the hardware and the dresser was done!
Here are the final numbers for the cost of the dresser
Paint: $30Fabric: $30
Sorry for the little hiatus I have been on the last month. Just took some me time and worked on a bunch of projects. I will have more up soon hopefully and at least be stopping by all my favorite blogs again soon.
During the time off I did do a guest post over at Attempts at Domestication on my travels to Southern California while she was off in Europe. You can catch up on her trip at her site and get some other tips on everything domestic.
Linked up at:
House by Hoff - 16 week DIY Challenge