One of my favorite pies is strawberry rhubarb and we are getting close to the season for both. Pie is an extremely personal thing and pie bakers are usually happy to show off their favorites. They may not give you the secret pie dough recipe, but getting to taste a good pie is so worth it. If you want to bring a group of pie lovers together a pie bake-off is a great way to do it. You can make this as casual or as professional as you want it.
Tips for hosting a pie bake-off
- Decide if you are open to all kinds of pie, just fruit, just cream, only pumpkin. You can vary this depending on the time of year, but the more you allow the more participation you will get
- Get some well-respected non-bakers to be the judge.
- As each pie arrives assign it a number and keep a list of who belongs to each pie. This will allow the judges to be more impartial.
- Cut small slices for each judge. Be sure to number the slices to match the entry number.
- While the judges are trying the pies encourage others to try the pies as well. You can even make a category for fan favorite.
- If possible make a prize or a certificate for the winner. Who doesn’t love to brag and boast a little about their win?
- Make sure the bakers list any major allergies like; gluten, eggs, dairy, and nuts.
- Most of all just make if fun
What is your favorite pie?